Wednesday, April 24, 2013

April 18th Class - Meetings and readings

This week I had read a bit of Angel Dust Apocalypse by Jeremy Robert Johnson. It was a very interesting concept, the idea of being able to genetically modify your body, almost at will, to gain fame. As I read it, it really creeped me out and made me uncomfortable. I hadn't read the whole thing and only just started so I don't know how deep the story is, but that kind of future seemed disturbing... where people idolize such.... arbitrary things.... I guess it's that I don't understand it and I suppose it could be seen as a form of self expression. I didn't enjoy the quality of writing or subject matter of it, but I feel the tone may have been appropriate to the story being told. I mean, the main character doesn't sound very self reflective or deep... just surface stuff, skin deep... ahaha I guess that really does fit. Nothing like how someone like Murakami would write with long clever descriptions of things or build ups.... I suppose that is apples and oranges though.

No comments:

Post a Comment