Monday, February 4, 2013

Haruki Murakami - A Wild Sheep Chase

I've read a little bit of a previous Murakami novel before, "The Elephant Vanishes," and really enjoy the way he writes. The stories are just written in a way that flow really nicely and the way he describes things is so off the wall and colorful. I mean, reading Wild Sheep Chase was awesome. I was actually enjoying the act of reading and every page I turned, in my head I was shouting, "This is awesome!" One of my favorites parts was when he was describing how beautiful this girls ears were. It was something like how they radiated down the oblique face of time and emitted protean beams of light. Man, it's just a really enjoyable book, not quite a horror story, certainly not like Frankenstein or anything of the others read so far, but incredibly enjoyable. We also watched the Japanese ghost stories in class and I thought the whole concept of ghosts not really being good or bad was interesting. It was mentioned that it was a very western thing to label things in black and white, good and bad, where in Japanese horror there is a lot of gray areas. The ghosts are really not good or bad and nothing is really labeled as such. I was also having my mind blown over the idea that everything is an allusion and you can't be certain if someone is experiencing something the same way you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment